Thursday, June 4, 2015

You Know You're In Loki's Army When... (Part 1)

Almost immediately after St. Louis Wizard World Comic Con last year, I started working on my costume for this year's event.  I chose to be Lady Loki (which was kind of an impulse decision considering there are a few other characters I've wanted to dress up as for years).  Lady Loki is not the easiest costume, but if you're willing to put in the effort, it will pay for itself in the attention you receive.



I decided to pay homage to the Avengers film franchise Loki in some of the details of my costume as well as honor the Lady Loki from print.  I opted to buy my dress and leggings as well as my jewelry, but I made my cape and helm.  I already owned the boots.  I will try to give specific details for each element below.


1. Dress


Sexy Plunging Neck Color Splicing Zipper Front Sleeveless Women's Bandage Dress http://www.trendsgal.com/p/wholesale-product-1154436.html $38.97

The only issue I had with the dress was that there was next to no room in the bust, and my regular alterations lady had to use black elastic from JoAnn Fabric to create gussets down the sides and add additional material to the front.  She moved the zipper up as well.  Fortunately, she thought the best design for the front would be overlapping diagonal strips (which acted as a nod to Tom Hiddleson's Loki).  This dress came from the Netherlands, so it really wasn't worth returning for the price.  (It's also a Herve Leger knockoff.)



2. Leggings



New! Egyptian Princess High Waist Women Fashion Leggings Pants Tights S M L http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Egyptian-Princess-High-Waist-Women-Fashion-Leggings-Pants-Tights-S-M-L-/321094849187?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160 $24.75
I had an exceptionally difficult time finding these in black and a size Large.  When all else failed, I gave Yahoo Images a shot and VIOLA!  Unlike the dress, these are very true to size and very comfortable.  I received many compliments on them, and the dye barely transferred.  (I doubt this would have happened at all had I washed them before I wore them the first time.)

3. Jewelry


Olivia Gold-Tone Collar Necklace http://shop.guess.com/en/Catalog/View/women/jewelry/olivia-gold-tone-collar-necklace/PM1020N-3 $29.00


Solid Brass Concave Cuff Bracelet Base 50.8mm (2 Inches) Wide - 1 Piece http://www.amazon.com/Solid-Concave-Bracelet-50-8mm-Inches/dp/B00ARLJMKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422502519&sr=8-1&keywords=50.8mm+2%22+cuff+bracelets&pebp=1422502531072&peasin=B00ARLJMKQ $8.25



Metallic Stud Earrings - Silver & Gold https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1030247574?campaign_label=transaction_buyer_notification&email_sent=1431711390&euid=r_kYmtSgjm-UreuNPb7c-FmJv_KA&eaid=14639380092&x_eaid=d48d8c52f7&show_panel=true $12.00
All of the jewelry was a deliberate nod to Tom Hiddleson's costume as well.  (The earrings are meant to mimic the studs on his bodice.)  I have sensitive ears, so I made sure to clean them with alcohol before I wore them.  I had no problems the entire day.

4.  Cape/Capelet/Cloak



Iridescent Taffeta Fabric Emerald Green By The Yard http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRIDESCENT-TAFFETA-FABRIC-EMERALD-GREEN-BY-THE-YARD-/360253248917?hash=item53e0c45595 $9.99

I purchased a scrap piece of 36x60" green/black iridescent taffeta from eBay for $7.99.  This is a similar product.  I then bought 36x58" of black taffeta from JoAnn Fabric for $5.99 to use as the backing.  I am 5'4", so I decided to make the cape 48" long.  I made the shoulder width 16" and the bottom width 36".  (I drew the diagonal lines with a white fabric pencil, a yard stick to mark the sides, and a round table cloth to mark the bottom.  You could also use a hula hoop, tree skirt, etc.)  After cutting out the material, I pinned the outsides together, sewed 3/4 of the edges, turned the cape right side out, and finished sewing the shoulder area.  (I knew this edge would be hidden by the fur trim.)  I didn't have time to attach the fur permanently, so they were attached with safety pins for the day, but I intend to replace them with snap closures.


Fashion Shrug Winter Luxury Faux Fur Collar Scarf Warm Warmer Shawl Wrap Stole E http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fashion-Shrug-Winter-Luxury-Faux-Fur-Collar-Scarf-Warm-Warmer-Shawl-Wrap-Stole-E-/131345930090?var=&hash=item0 $7.99


5. Helm/Helmet/Horns/Diadem



Credit: Thomas G Ricks / Fox 2 News
The instructions for this piece are substantial, so here is the link: http://cosplayforbeginners.blogspot.com/2015/06/you-know-youre-in-lokis-army-when-part-2.html 

6. Hair and Makeup


I used Roux Fanci-Full Rinse in Black Rage.  This was a nightmare.  I will most definitely suck it up and wear a wig next time.  I used OPI's "Jade is the New Black" nail polish.  The key elements to my makeup were CoverGirl EyeEnhancers in Champagne (710), Jordana EasyLiner in SeaGreen, and Revlon ColorStay LipLiner in Mauve.  I also used fake lashes, but I opted to cut on lash in half and only add volume to my outer lashes.




Credit: Thomas G Ricks / Fox 2 News

Credit: Nightfall Unlimited
I was in this costume for about 12 hours.  I only take it off while I was eating and during bathroom breaks.  The worst part was going outside to get some lunch because the helm made my forehead a little sweaty in the sun, and it started sliding around.  I did have a sore forehead for about 2 days after though (but it was only tender to the touch).  When it was all said and done, I'm glad I forced myself to learn these new skills.  I guess that's what it means to be burdened with a glorious purpose ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment